Sunday, August 21, 2011

Strung Silk Necklace...I die!

Anthropologie is one of my favorite places on earth. When I walk into the store, it's like the heavens open, the little mermaid sings, and all of my senses are tweaked. The flickering candles smell like High's ice cream of my youth, the colors of amazing stock tempt me like my Uncle Vincent's mess of paints once did, hats end up on my head....scarves around my neck and while it cannot be confirmed, I am sure that my eyes begin to twinkle. 

While my reflexes aren't as extreme while perusing Anthro online...neither is my inclination to buy, buy, buy! However, tonight, clad in stretchy pants curled up in my comfy den, I stumbled upon the coolest necklace ever...a strung silk necklace.  See the picture below (have a hankie close by, you may drool):


There are so many things that I heart about this necklace: the colors, the awesome texture, the rough knotting...mostly, the way that it reminds me of the beautiful silk scarves that my Grandmother always effortlessly draped around her neck.  How versatile is this??? I can see it with a simple white tee and jeans, adding a splash to a sassy black dress...the options are limitless. Everything about this piece is exquisite, everything that this, except the price...a whopping $148 smackers.  When I saw the price I slumped a bit in my chair. After all, the necklace is simple a bunch of silk strips that are edged and knotted.  Over and over I told myself, "Erin...get a grip...it's a necklace made of scraps for a hundred bucks".  And then the heavens opened (I can always count on Anthro) and I heard my mother's sweet voice saying "you can make this"! Many times my mother has deflated my excitement when I find a simple shift or an ultra cool pillow.  She simply glances at the price and says "you know, Erin Rose, we could totally make this ourselves".  Usually she is right...most of the time I buy my find anyway.  This purchase, however, I could not rationalize.  I will however begin collecting silk scarps and attempt my own strung silk piece of beautiful.


1 comment:

  1. You can SO make this necklace! It will give you something to scour yard sales for. I will keep my eyes peeled for colorful silk scraps that I can send you for your collection. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete