Wednesday, November 28, 2012

onions and peppers and garlic...oh my!

Lots of people fawn over the smell of crisp apple pie or fresh cut grass. Think of all of the candle scents (or "flavors" as I like to refer to them) that are available these days.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for a great candle.  However, nothing stirs up my soul and sends waves through my memory pool like the simmering scent of onions, pepper, and garlic.

 
 
Whenever I am lucky enough to catch a whiff of this trio of goodness my minds eye conjures up the most comforting image imaginable.  This scent transports me back to 308 Dogwood Trail...my beautiful grandmother is standing at the island inn our kitchen, golden locks perfectly coiffed, wearing the fanciest or fancy house coats  stirring a big pot of sauce. The voice of some super cool romantic singer (usually Pavarotti, Julio Iglesis or Louis Armstrong) is pouring from the CD player. The scent warms my heart and my soul and makes me really, really thankful. Thankful for such lovely memories and for all of the amazing meals that this medley led to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment